Agents benefit from quick access to records from nearly 700 sources for public criminal and eviction reports and are enhanced with data reported directly to TransUnion.
An agent will find any criminal and/or eviction reports that TransUnion has found and returned in the Renter Resume.
This article outlines the details of any background records found in the TransUnion reports:
Reports Found Warning
If there are any reports, criminal or eviction, found and returned in the applicant's background check, an agent will see a warning symbol (red exclamation point) next to the credit score.
The warning symbol is an indicator of a Criminal/Eviction record. By clicking on the score and/or warning symbol, you will navigate to the top of the TransUnion reports.
Intellirent does not control or alter the data returned by TransUnion, however we try to display the data to you in an easy to read format.
Using advanced filters and industry best practices, TransUnion uses public records to search:
- State criminal background checks*
- Most Wanted Databases
- National Sex Offender Public Registry
Please note, per our partnership with TransUnion:
*The Criminal Report is subject to federal, state and local laws which may limit or restrict TransUnion Rental Services' (TURSS) ability to return some records, and are subject to change. Criminal results are available to return in: Alaska, Arkansas, Arizona, *California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, *Illinois, Indiana, *Kansas, *Kentucky, Louisiana, Minnesota, Mississippi, *Nevada, *New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, *Washington, West Virginia and Wisconsin. Please see below for additional restrictions:
- California: 7 year limit on convictions and no reporting of sex offender records
- Cook County, IL: No reporting of criminal and sex offender records older than 3 years – this filter applies according to the Site Criteria Criminal Filters for your account.
- Kentucky: No reporting of non-convictions
- Kansas: 7 year limit on convictions & sex offender records
- Kentucky: No reporting of non-convictions
- Massachusetts: 7 year limit on sex offender records
- Maryland: 7 year limit on sex offender records
- Montana: 7 year limit on sex offender records
- Nevada: No reporting of sex offender records
- New Hampshire: 7 year limit on sex offender records
- New Mexico: 7 year limit on sex offender records
- New Jersey: No reporting of records including sex offender records
- New York: No reporting of non-convictions, 7 year limit on convictions & sex offender records
Washington: 7 year limit on convictions & sex offender records
- Seattle, WA: No reporting of records other than sex offender records
- CO Courts is not included within the national instant search, however, the Denver court dock is included within the search along with Most Wanted and the Sex Offender registry search.
See: TransUnion Criminal Report Disclaimer for statement from TransUnion.
If your applicant's current address is listed as being within one of the jurisdictions and/or states mentioned above, their records will be automatically filtered, following state/local guidelines.
An agent can choose not to receive criminal reports by toggling Criminal Reports OFF from Settings: Application Criteria.
TransUnion has a database of over 27 million eviction records. Eviction check reports will include:
- Tenant judgment for possession and money
- Unlawful detainers
- Tenant judgments for rent
- Failure to pay rent
- Writs and warrants of eviction
Eviction check reports will not include:
Civil New Filings (and other initial filing types)
Only eviction cases that resulted in a final action against the applicant will better represent the applicant’s status.
Using TransUnion's accurate match-back logic, the bureau can more accurately match results to applicants when running background checks. Their robust credit, personal, and address history database to help determine who is who. That means you receive more accurate results and less false positives.
*Eviction-related records are not available for New York and Miami-Dade County, or from the Yuma Justice Court (AZ).
No Report Found
If no reports are found in TransUnion's search, the reports section in the Renter Resume will say, No Reports Found.
Still need help? Submit a support request here.